Cooking Fire Prevention
- Do not leave cooking unattended.
- Wear short or close-fitting sleeves. Loose clothing can catch fire.
- Clean cooking surfaces to prevent food and grease build-up.
- Keep curtains, towels and pot holders away from hot surfaces.
- Turn pot and pan handles inward to prevent spills.
To Extinguish a Cooking Fire
- Call 911 immediately.
- Slide a lid over flames to smother a grease or oil fire, then turn off the heat and leave the lid in place until the pan cools. Never carry the pan away from the stove.
- Extinguish other food fires with baking soda. Never use water or flour on cooking fires.
- Ovens are designed to hold heat; for a fire in the oven, keep the door shut and turn off the heat to smother the fire.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.